Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Proxy, Dashboard, and Server oriented advertising

It's been a little while but over the course of the last week or so I have gotten to work on getting everything working for GTADS. The proxy's code is complete but a lot of debugging of Theoretical code is happening to get the game to read on both sides. In preparation for the proxy though I have started writing some gameroom oriented code that will keep users up to date on how many users and games are on the server. I dubbed it the GTADS dashboard and it may find many other uses namely my plan in the future of it.
Now i'm not a big fan of in application advertisement but I realize the costs associated with hosting a server, they can pile up. What I think would be the best way to deal with this is not me putting advertising in all the clients like some sort of shareware but rather let it be server controlled. This means if you connect to someone's GTADS network and they have an advertising enabled server you will see advertisements. This shouldn't be intrusive in the least bit, since it is a chat and game type of application. However, if you go to a server without advertising you wouldn't see anything on your own client. I think this is being fair to all those who would potentially run a GTADS server to either make a few bucks back from hosting or make it a place to post announcements from affiliates etc. Now of course there is nothing stopping anyone from killing the advertising off their client since it is open sourced but I don't think that would be fair to your usage of someone else's bandwidth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home